Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The meaning behind Taelcat

I just realized that if you stumble upon this blog, you have no idea what or who "Taelcat" is. Taelcat is the cattery name that I bred and showed Maine Coon Cats under. "Tael" is a word that was used as a form of weighing currency. Since Maine Coons are often judged by their weight, I thought Tael + cat would be an excellent cattery name, and a little play on words. I bred cats with a cattery partner. She housed the females and I housed the males. I did most of the showing of the cats. It worked well. We specialized in silvers, with or without white.

I liked to name my cats after dead actors. Some of my cats were Spencer Tracy, Humphrey Bogart, Errol Flynn, Buster Keaton and Gilda Radner. Tonto's registered name is Mainette Jay Silverheels of Taelcat. Of course, this is the actor who played Tonto, hence his call name.

I showed and bred cats for about 20 years. I quit 6 years ago when I moved into my condo. Gilda was one of the kittens born in the very last litter of Maine Coons that we had.

I've shown many cats to Grand Champion status in ACFA, CFA and TICA. I have become friends with many of my kitten buyers. I have one famous buyer. The creators and writers of the HBO hit series "Big Love" bought a cat from us about 15 years ago.

No comments: